How To Remove Mold From Wood Toys (No Chemicals)

Welcome to our ‘ How To Remove Mold From Wood Toys ‘ guide

Wooden toys are great for a child’s imagination and development. However, wooden toys can be susceptible to certain types of mold. When your child uses wooden toys every day, it is important to make sure their toys don’t have mold on them.

To stop mold from growing, simply keep toys clean and dry. To remove mold from wooden toys, simply wipe them with a small amount of cleaning liquid made from 1 part vinegar, and 10 parts water.

Mold can cause irritate the skin, eyes, and respiratory system of your child. Problems like asthma can be exacerbated by mold spores that are created by a section of mold.

How Mold Grows On Wooden Toys

The air is filled with mold spores at any given time. As soon as those spores land in a spot that suits them, they will begin to establish themselves and multiply. Mold is a fungus, like mushrooms, that grown in dark and dank places that contain moisture.

Wooden toys can become an environment for mold because wood is porous, meaning it can trap water on the surface and inside of it. Once the mold spore lands on the damp wooden toy, it will start to grow.

To stop this from happening, keep wooden toys dry. This can be done by placing them in sunlight, or a warm spot. High levels of humidity in the house might also mean that the conditions are right for wooden toys to grow mold. 

Some young children investigate objects by putting them in their mouth. This is a natural habit and is performed because the child’s mouth has many sensory receptors. Children’s saliva can be another cause for mold growth as moisture stays on the wooden toys.

Wipe them down after every use and store them in a dry and possibly even warm spot. This is to allow any water present to evaporate off, and to prevent more water from coming into contact with the toys.

How To Remove Mold From Wooden Toys Without Chemicals

Many wood cleaning products that you would use on furniture are not suitable for wooden toys. Chemicals found in wood polishes and cleaning products contain harsh antibacterial properties that should not be brought into contact with skin or the mouth.

These chemicals can irritate the skin or course a reaction. 

The best way to remove mold from a wooden toy is to make a simple cleaning solution from 1 part vinegar and 10 parts water. Vinegar is an acid that will kill the mold and also bacteria. 

It is important just to wipe the toy and not soak it. This is because wood has a tendency to swell in water as it absorbs it. Wooden toys will expand and may even form cracks and crevices. This then creates more potential for mold as there is more surface area for water to pool.

So add your vinegar and water solution to a sponge, wipe down the wooden toy, and leave it to dry in a warm and dry spot. Direct sunlight is a good option, as the natural warmth from the sun will evaporate the water on the surface.

Vinegar is strong smelling, which is why only a small proportion of the cleaning liquid should be made up of vinegar. Likewise, your child will be able to taste the painfully sour vinegar on their wooden toys, which is not good for encouraging them to play.

How To Replace The Moisture

Wood does need some moisture in order to not dry out. Finding a balance between keeping water in and keeping water out is difficult. Coating the wooden toys in olive oil or beeswax polish can be applied to seal the wood after cleaning.

Both these options are nontoxic, meaning no chemicals are present that might hurt your child. It is important not to use polish designed for wooden furniture as it contains chemicals that cannot be ingested. Children will always put things in their mouth, it’s better not to take the chance.

Final Thoughts

Mold grows on moist or damp surfaces. As long as you keep the toys dry in between uses, then you will have no issues. If however your toys are still getting moldy, then a vinegar and water solution will remove any mold in a safe and nontoxic way.

Wooden toys offer a lot in the way of tactile imaginative play. Don’t let mold be an issue. Keep toys high and dry in between playtime’s, and be sure to monitor them for mold often. It might even be worth buying a dehumidifier to avoid excess moisture in your home.

We hope you enjoyed our ‘ How To Remove Mold From Wood Toys  ‘ guide. If so please consider sharing.

Sharing is caring!

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest
Share on digg